Help for farmers who suffered from natural disasters

New York State producers who had losses from natural disasters in 2017 or 2018 may be eligible for federal assistance through the Tree Assistance Program, Emergency Assistance for Livestock, the Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program, or the Livestock Indemnity Program:

— The Tree Assistance Program provides money to qualifying orchardists and nursery tree growers to replant or rehabilitate eligible trees, bushes, and vines lost due to natural disasters. Payment eligibility is triggered when a mortality loss in excess of 15 percent on a stand (adjusted for normal mortality) occurs due to natural disaster.

Growers have until the later of Dec. 3 or 90 calendar days after the disaster date when the loss of trees becomes apparent to submit an application with supporting documentation;

— The Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program provides emergency assistance to eligible producers of livestock, honeybees and farm-raised fish who have suffered losses due to an adverse weather or loss condition, including blizzards, disease, water shortages and wildfires. ELAP assistance is provided for losses not covered by other disaster assistance programs. Producers must file a notice of loss and application for payment at their local Farm Service Agency office by Dec. 3 for losses occurring from Oct. 1, 2016, through Sept. 30, 2018; and

— The Livestock Indemnity Program provides compensation to eligible livestock owners or contract growers for livestock deaths in excess of normal mortality, or injury resulting in reduced value, caused by an eligible loss condition. A livestock owner or contract grower must file a notice of loss the later of 30 calendar days from when the loss of livestock is first apparent, or Dec. 3, 2018.

For more information on FSA disaster assistance programs or to find your local United States Department of Agriculture Service Center, visit

More Community news