Juvenile charged in Crossgates gunfire

Enterprise file photo — Michael Koff
Police from many different agencies gathered at the Walmart’s parking lot near Crossgates Mall where a command center was set up on July 22 after a shot was fired in the mall.

GUILDERLAND — On Wednesday, Guilderland Police Department arrested a 15-year-old juvenile male in connection with the Crossgates Mall shooting on July 22.

His name is not being released because of his age.

He was charged in Albany County Family Court with first-degree reckless endangerment, a felony, and with fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, a misdemeanor.

He was also arrested on an outstanding Albany County Family Court warrant.

The Albany County Family Court judge remanded him to a secured juvenile detention facility pending disposition of the case. 

[Related: Guilderland Chief McNally sees police reform as ‘super positive’]

On July 22, at about 3 p.m. police had responded to credible reports of gunfire at the mall, which was determined to be an isolated incident.

“One shot was fired by the juvenile, no one was hit and there were no injuries,” said a Guilderland Police Department release on Wednesday. “After a lengthy investigation, the juvenile was subsequently identified and arrested today in the City of Albany with the assistance of the Albany Police Department.”

The shot was fired, police said on July 22, near the Foot Locker, which is on the bottom floor of the mall, a few doors from Lord & Taylor.

At the time, Pyramid Management Group, which owns the mall, released a statement, saying that the incident “appears to have been between known acquaintances.”

The mall was immediately locked down.

Four years earlier, a gun had been fired at Crossgates, on Nov. 12, 2016. No one was injured, and no weapon was ever found. Tasheem Maewhether, of Albany, was arrested. He was 21 when he was sentenced in June 2017, after a jury found him guilty of reckless endangerment; he is currently in prison.

 

More Guilderland News

  • The Guilderland Zoning Board at its Feb. 4 meeting was presented with a proposal from Robert Abbatiello to build 18 units of housing for people 55 and older at 3400 Carman Road.

  • The board’s unanimous Feb. 4 vote overturned a building permit issued for a fence running along a shared driveway between the historic Norman Vale home and the property at 3 Norman Vale Lane, reasoning that the fence would obstruct a historic view of Norman Vale and because the property owner could not articulate a reason for erecting the barrier. 

  • At its Feb. 3 meeting, the town board unanimously authorized issuing requests for proposals for the new scale and also allowed the use of the transfer station’s capital reserve funds to pay for it.

The Altamont Enterprise is focused on hyper-local, high-quality journalism. We produce free election guides, curate readers' opinion pieces, and engage with important local issues. Subscriptions open full access to our work and make it possible.