Altamont Enterprise July 4, 1919 

Harry L. Gaige Arrives in New York. 

A telegram was received in Altamont on Thursday afternoon, stating that Harry L. Gaige, a member of the headquarters band of the 51st Pioneer Infantry, had arrived in New York from overseas on the “Wilhelmina.” His unit was sent to Camp Mills, and will undoubtedly be mustered out of service in a few days. Mr. Gaige’s friends in Altamont will have the pleasure of welcoming him home soon. He went across last summer, and since the armistice was signed has been with the American army of occupation in Germany. 


W. S. Young has commenced his berry picking. 


The Red Cross unit has almost finished their quota of one hundred garments to be made before Sept. 1st. Any one who has any spare time will be welcome, as the sooner the garments are finished, the sooner the vacation of the order will come. 


— The Holy Communion will be celebrated in St. John’s Lutheran church on Sunday morning. This is a service that every member of the church and every Christian worshipping with the congregation should observe. All evening services will be omitted during July and August. 

— A loaded coal car attached to a passing freight train going east Tuesday morning became loosened at the bottom and just as it passed the Main street crossing in Altamont began spilling coal over the tracks, continuing the process for a long distance. The workmen on the section were engaged all day Tuesday and Wednesday carting the coal aside and cleaning up the track. 

— Messrs James H. Ferguson, A. Eugene Wilson and Elmer Crounse, assessors of the town of Guilderland, have nearly completed their assessment work. During last week and a part of this week they have been in Altamont and along the mountain side making their annual visits and viewing all alterations and improvements to property. It has always been the policy of the present board of assessors to view each piece of property, however small, and have a talk with the owner, which has been very satisfactory to all concerned. 


Sunday afternoon Dr. D. C. Case of Slingerlands was called to attend Miss Della Relyea, who had dislocated her knee. As he was crossing the state road a large automobile driven by H. Fritts, former city judge of Hudson, came down the church hill and struck him. One leg was broken in two places and the other near the ankle. Dr. Shaw of Voorheesville was called and the ambulance of the Albany City hospital took him to that institution. It is said that the automobile was going at a high rate of speed. 

More Back In Time

The Altamont Enterprise is focused on hyper-local, high-quality journalism. We produce free election guides, curate readers' opinion pieces, and engage with important local issues. Subscriptions open full access to our work and make it possible.