GPD charges middle-school student with making threat

Enterprise file photo
"Late yesterday, administration was made aware of a student who had a kill list on his personal device," Farnsworth Middle School Principal Michael Laster wrote to parents on Friday.

GUILDERLAND — A Farnsworth Middle School student has been charged with making a threat of mass harm, a misdemeanor, according to a Saturday release from the Guilderland Police.

School administrators called police after learning on Thursday, Feb. 1, that a Farnsworth student “had a list of school community members they intended to harm on a personal electronic device,” according to a notice from Superintendent Marie Wiles.

The notice was posted to the district’s website the next day.

Also on Friday, Farnsworth Principal Michael Laster sent a letter to parents, saying the student “had a kill list on his personal device.”

The student was removed from school.

“The student was transported to a Mental Crisis Center under Mental Hygiene Law 9.41 and was referred to Albany County Probation for the criminal offense,” said the Saturday release from Guilderland Police.

“There does not appear to be any further credible threat,” the release said, adding that police will continue to work with the student’s family and the school district to ensure safety.

The student’s name is not being released because of his age; Farnsworth serves sixth-, seventh-, and eighth-graders. 

“The student’s list had been shared on social media,” Wiles wrote. “The initial post was removed but has been recirculated and may continue to raise questions among our community.”

She also wrote, “We encourage families to talk to students about what they read and share online; if you see something, say something. As always, we are thankful for the vigilance of our community in reporting their concerns to us.”

Wiles urged anyone with questions or concerns to call the district office at 518-456-6200.

More Guilderland News

  • The Guilderland Zoning Board at its Feb. 4 meeting was presented with a proposal from Robert Abbatiello to build 18 units of housing for people 55 and older at 3400 Carman Road.

  • At its Feb. 3 meeting, the town board unanimously authorized issuing requests for proposals for the new scale and also allowed the use of the transfer station’s capital reserve funds to pay for it.

  • The board’s unanimous Feb. 4 vote overturned a building permit issued for a fence running along a shared driveway between the historic Norman Vale home and the property at 3 Norman Vale Lane, reasoning that the fence would obstruct a historic view of Norman Vale and because the property owner could not articulate a reason for erecting the barrier. 

The Altamont Enterprise is focused on hyper-local, high-quality journalism. We produce free election guides, curate readers' opinion pieces, and engage with important local issues. Subscriptions open full access to our work and make it possible.