Thompsons Lake, Feb 20, 2014

I had a very enjoyable day on Monday, Feb. 10. My granddaughter, Kassi Neal, came for breakfast. I trimmed her hair, which is long and beautiful. Then she filled out paperwork for the Star program and we dropped it off to Kevin Crosier at the town hall in Berne.

We then headed for Schoharie to renew Kassi’s driver’s license and vehicle registration.

We decided to eat at the Apple Barrel as neither of us had eaten there. My friend, Barbara Wolford, told me it was a great place to go for lunch. Barbara was right and the food was delicious. 

We then went back to Kassi’s house on Ridge Lane on Warner’s Lake and then she brought me home. It was a wonderful day with a fabulous granddaughter.

On Tuesday, Feb. 11, I took the news to Altamont and then dropped off the tax material at the accountants.

I next went and bought new pet mats for Reba’s kennels. Reba is Danny’s 14-month-old Doberman Pincher puppy. She chews everything up so I don’t expect these mats to last long. The last ones are all chewed to shreds.

Wednesday, Feb. 12, arrived at 10 below zero. I went with Brandon on his dinner visit with Samson and Nichole. We ate at Pizza Hut in Cobleskill. As usual, Samson had piles of homework. Nichole was perfectly happy having daddy all to herself for private conversation.

On Thursday, Feb. 13, the snow was falling several inches an hour. We received 15-inches during the day.

Danielle brought Zoey to me at 7:30 a.m. She left work at noon due to the weather and got back here at 1:30 p.m. The roads were horrible.

On Friday, Feb. 14, the schools were closed for a second day. The children missed their Valentine’s Day.

The children missed their Valentine’s parties after writing out all those cards.

It snowed several inches an hour again. We received another 15 inches. Now we have 30 inches of snow of the ground. 

I watched Zoey from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m., while Danielle and Matthew Babcock went and got medicine for Zoey. After that ordeal with snow up to their truck windows, they spent the rest of the day at home.

My mailman got stuck in a snowdrift right before my house. He borrowed my snow shovel and was there for a couple of hours.

On Saturday, Feb. 15, I went to the post office with my daughter, Marcia Pangburn to pick up our mail. The county snowplow hit her mailbox and it’s still among the missing.

It’s still snowing. We got another 4-inches today. 

In the evening, my grandson, Brandon Clark, and Jenn Smith went to Mass at St. Lucy’s Church in Altamont for the christening of Jenn’s nephew, Cooper Cornelius Smith, son of Ran and Nancy Smith. The family and friends then gathered at Township Tavern for a celebration.

Cooper’s grandfather, Michael Smith, was there and great grandfather, Norman Smith, as well as all the other aunts, uncles, and cousins on both sides of the family.

On Sunday, Feb. 16, my daughter, Marcia, visited me bright and early for coffee. Next Brandon and Jenn picked me up for church.

Brandon and Jenn came back to the farm to feed the chickens climbing over 5 to 6 feet high snow banks. Brandon still can’t get into his new house. The driveway is not plowed. He keeps walking down to the house to keep a fire going in the furnace. 

The weatherman announces more snow is on the way. And then maybe warmer weather and maybe rain.



The Altamont Enterprise is focused on hyper-local, high-quality journalism. We produce free election guides, curate readers' opinion pieces, and engage with important local issues. Subscriptions open full access to our work and make it possible.