Thompsons Lake, Jan 9, 2013

Christmas is over. On Thursday, Dec. 26 I wrote my news and took it to Altamont. It had to be in early as the holiday falls in the middle of the week.

I picked up some Chinese food and ate with my daughter, Marcia Pangburn and Kyra and we watched family DVDs. 

Jenn Smith, her son, Iain Bullis, Samson and Nichole met Brandon after work and they visited Jenn’s grandparents, Bob and Connie Hughes, and Jenn’s aunt, Virginia Stockman in Albany. Then they went swimming at the YMCA. Brandon, Samson and Nichole then spent the night at my house.

Marcia dropped off Kyra on her way to work. Samson and Kyra played with his new big red Nerf gun while Nichole baked her own birthday cake.

Then all three children went outside to fly Samson’s new airplane. That lasted until the airplane landed on the garage roof and they came in.

Brandon, Samson, Nichole, Kyra and I watched more family DVDs.

Saturday, Dec. 28, was a big day for Nichole. Her birthday was Dec. 21 but we were celebrating it today at Dave and Buster’s.

Nichole had asked to have her party elsewhere and not at the farmhouse, if Uncle Danny would not be attending. She chose Dave and Buster’s and Brandon, Samson, Jenn, Iain and I all enjoyed the dinner there and all the games.

Nichole enjoyed listening to us sing “Happy Birthday” to her and blowing out her eight candles. 

Many other patrons complimented her on the cake she baked and decorated.

We came back to the farm with a surprise party for me. It was actually my birthday.

Those hosting the surprise with a delicious cake were my daughter, Kathy Carnevale, her husband, Gary; my granddaughter, Kassi Neal and Jared Martin; my daughter, Marcia Pangburn and her daughter, Kyra Swan and friend, Ella David; grandson, Brandon Clark, his children, Samson and Nichole, and his friend, Jenn Smith with her son, Iain Bullis. What a day. It was all parties.

On Sunday, Dec. 29 I went to church and then to Price Chopper. I’d been to busy to go there on Friday, my usual shopping day.

Samson and Nichole played his new game, Risk until 9 p.m. We left the game set up and went to bed.

On Monday, Dec. 30, the Risk game continued. Nichole conceded and it ended. Samson stated it’s all about strategy.

I watched Nichole build a Lego castle set and then I played a game of Risk with Samson and he won. I’ll improve my strategy and beat him the next time, I hope.

Brandon, Samson and Nichole paid a visit to Sheila Stempel, as it was her birthday.

On Tuesday, Dec. 31, Nichole was excited because they were invited to a big New Year’s Eve party at Jenn Smith’s. Nichole spent some of her day trying to train Reba. Then she got her doll, Baby Nick, packed up to go to her mother’s. She also took a nap.

Samson put together his fourth Lego set.

Brandon, Samson, and Nichole went to Jenn’s for the evening.

My son-in-law, Gary Carnevale, picked me up due to the slippery roads and I went to their house for the evening.

They had delicious appetizers and a steak dinner with fabulous desserts.

My granddaughter, Kassi Neal, and Jared Martin drove me home at 11 p.m. I’m like Cinderella now, I must get home before midnight or my coach might turn into a pumpkin.

On Wednesday, Jan. 1, I heard very bad news. I found out Nichole had suffered serous injuries on the treadmill at Jenn’s. Apparently, she didn’t follow the rules and set the speed to high. She fell and burned the skin off her knees and one hand. Quick thinking on Iain’s part saved her from more serious injuries. He jumped into action immediately, and shut the machine off.

Samson and Nichole went back to their mother at noon. They had spent a week with us and we were very grateful and happy.

I prepared a ham and scalloped potatoes dinner to celebrate the New Year and my guests were Brandon, Jenn, my grandson, Miles Pangburn, his wife, Melissa, Marcia, Kyra, Ella David, Kathy, Gary, Kassi, Jared Martin, my granddaughter, Danielle Ricketts and baby, Zoey Raye.

Thursday, Jan. 2, was very cold and snowing. My daughter, Marcia had the day off. We dropped, Kyra and Ella off at the movies and Marcia, Kathy and I got our toenails   clipped.

We enjoyed lunch at Delmonico’s but were glad to get safely home.

On Friday, Marcia dropped off Kyra. I spent the day putting the holiday dishes away and doing laundry. The roads were too slippery to go anywhere.

Marcia, Brandon, Kyra and I enjoyed homemade turkey soup for dinner and called it a night.

Saturday, Jan. 4, was bitterly cold. I got an update on Nichole. She was first seen by a pediatrician, who sent her for X-rays because she said her leg hurt, everything’s fine. She has an appointment with a plastic surgeon on Jan. 10 to check on her knees. That’s at an office in Cooperstown.

I went to the Alumni basketball game at BKW in the evening with Brandon and Jenn.

On Sunday, I went to church and then Brandon, Jenn and Danielle visited me. Marcia dropped Kyra off on her way to the V.A. hospital to work the 4 p.m. to midnight shift. Kyra and I ate dinner together and reminisced about the vacation and the back to school week.

We spent many hours with relatives and that’s what makes the holidays full of joy. 

It was a bittersweet year for me. My adorable great granddaughter, Zoey Raye, was born on June 17 but, I lost my beloved son, Danny, on Aug. 31.

Worship leaders

Our thanks are extended to Lisa Maceyak, liturgist, Sheila Stempel, preacher and Moe Safford, musician for their services on Sunday, Jan. 5, while Pastor Tim Van Heest was on vacation with his family in Chicago. We are so fortunate in this little church to have so many gifted members.