Kitchen a loss but house saved in fire on Meadowdale Road

The Enterprise — Elizabeth Floyd Mair

Finishing up: Firefighters have shed their heavy protective gear Thursday afternoon after containing to the kitchen a fire at 1154 Meadowdale Road; the fire was under control in 10 or 15 minutes, said Guilderland Center Fire Chief John Joy.

GUILDERLAND CENTER — As firefighters at 1154 Meadowdale Road packed up their gear late Thursday afternoon, after putting out a fire in the kitchen, the home’s owner sat in the doorway of his camper, parked in the driveway, holding tight the Boston terrier in his lap.

“He was shaken up but not injured,” said Guilderland Center Fire Department Chief John Joy of the homeowner. Joy added that the homeowner is a former member of his department.

The homeowner got his pet out himself and met firefighters in the yard, Joy said.

Albany County tax rolls list the homeowner as David Langenbach; the single-story home with an attached garage has a full market value of $152,941.

Joy said that the initial call, which came in at about 3:15 p.m., was for a grease fire on a stove.

First to arrive on the scene, he said, were fire investigators, who do not carry equipment to fight fires. They tried to fight it with a garden hose.

An Altamont Fire Department truck was the first fire engine to arrive, and volunteers from that department were able to stretch an attack line from the truck to the door of the home, Joy said.

The Guilderland Center Fire Department then arrived and went inside.

At that point, the kitchen was fully involved. Before the homeowner called 911, Joy said, the fire had already extended up into the cabinets and was no longer just a grease fire.

Firefighters performed a coordinated attack, Joy said: As they put water on the fire and the water turned into steam and expanded, they broke a window in the front of the home and another in the back, allowing them to control the path of the fire through the house.

Joy expected that the homeowner would be displaced “for a little while.”

He said that the fire companies who helped Guilderland Center put out the fire — which took 10 or 15 minutes to get under control — were Altamont, Voorheesville, Knox, New Salem, and Westmere.

 

More Guilderland News