Unattended wok at Best Cook causes small fire, lots of smoke

GUILDERLAND — Food burning in an apparently unattended wok on a stove caused heavy smoke at the Best Cook Chinese restaurant in Guilderland on Thursday morning, said Assistant Chief of the Guilderland Fire Department Bill Beha.   

No one in the restaurant when firefighters arrived, he said.  

Best Cook is located in a small shopping plaza at 2568 Western Ave., at the intersection of Carman Road.

Firefighters removed what was burning, Beha said, and opened the front and back doors of the restaurant to allow the smoke to clear. They did not need to use any water on the fire.

There was no major damage to the building, although there was smoke damage to the restaurant, Beha said.

He added that representatives of the restaurant had arrived and had spoken to health department officials and been told to close down for at least one day for cleaning.

Guilderland had assistance from the Fort Hunter Fire Department, Beha said. “Westmere was on the way, but we were able to get things under control before they got here,” he added.

Beha was the only one still on the scene at 10:30 a.m.

Police spokesman Curtis Cox said later that the call had come in at 8:54 a.m.

Tags:

More Guilderland News

  • Patricia Wilson was born in the Philippines, where her mother was born and raised. Her family moved back and forth between the Philippines and the United States — her father was in the Navy — as her mother tried to get used to life in the U.S.

  • Owners of Maxon’s say people will be ‘shocked’ at the new look when they open their eatery at the town’s golf course

  • Phillips Hardware

    A study done for the IDA by Camoin Associates looked at demand for hardware in the area and found that, while the area is already well served by stores selling building materials and supplies, Phillips is able to provide a higher level of customer service and to offer unique services such as small-engine repair. The study said this should help Phillips reach a market that larger big-box stores cannot.