[Home Page] [This Week] [Classifieds] [Legals] [Obituaries] [Newsstands] [Subscriptions] [Advertising] [Deadlines] [About Us] [FAQ] [Archives] [Community Links] [Contact Us]

New Scotland Archives — The Altamont Enterprise, April 12, 2012

Beer bottle slashes face
Two charged with felony assault
By Tyler Murphy

NEW SCOTLAND –– Two Albany men were charged with felony assault this week for allegedly attacking a Voorheesville man outside of a city bar the night of March 23, slashing the victim’s face with a glass beer bottle and beating the injured man in front of his girlfriend as he attempted to flee, reported the City of Albany Police.

Following the assault, the injured man sought medical attention and arrived at the Saint Peter’s Hospital emergency room at around midnight, explained Albany police spokesman Steven A. Smith.

Police received a call from hospital staff reporting the incident and that the victim, 21-year-old Landon Church, had suffered lacerations to his face and head requiring 33 stitches, Smith said.

Police arrested Simon Ottendorf, 20 of 69 Sycamore Street, Albany, and Vincenzo Corrara, 22 of 20 Stanton Court, and charged them with second-degree assault, a felony.

Church was walking out of Andy’s Sport’s Bar, 605 New Scotland Avenue with his girlfriend, when Ottendorf walked up behind him unexpectedly and struck him in the head with a glass beer bottle, according to a release from the Albany Police. After being hit with the bottle, Ottendorf’s friend, Corraro, allegedly began to punch and kick him on the sidewalk as he tried to get away,” the release said.

Smith confirmed police identified Ottendorf as the one swinging the glass bottle, causing a “large laceration” to Church’s forehead. Smith said Corraro was also being charged with second-degree assault, which involves the use of a weapon, because he acted in concert to commit the crime.

Police arrested Corraro at his home on April 1 and he was remanded to Albany County’s jail on $20,000 cash bail after being arraigned in city court, reported the court clerk’s office.

Ottendorf turned himself into police April 4. He was arraigned in city court and released under the supervision of the Albany County Probation Department, reported the court.

Smith said he didn’t know the motive for the crime but said the victim and his girlfriend along with the defendants had been in same bar before the fight. Smith said it hadn’t been determined if alcohol played a role in the incident but added that police hadn’t ruled it out either.

[Return to Home Page]