[Home Page] [This Week] [Classifieds] [Legals] [Obituaries] [Newsstands] [Subscriptions] [Advertising] [Deadlines] [About Us] [FAQ] [Archives] [Community Links] [Contact Us]

Obituaries Archives — The Altamont Enterprise, December 30, 2010

Frank John Hanzlik

FEURA BUSH — Frank John Hanzlik, known by friends as Bud, died on Dec. 24, 2010. He was 55.

Mr. Hanzlik was an avid fisherman and gardener.

He is survived by his sister, Anne Greene, and his uncle and aunt, Art and Helen Gammel. He is also survived by a host of cousins, neighbors, and friends.

His parents, Frank and Mary Hanzlik, died before him.

Calling hours will be today, Thursday, from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Meyers Funeral Home on Delaware Avenue in Delmar. A funeral service and interment will be in the Jerusalem Reformed Church and cemetery in the spring.

Memorial contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society, 260 Osborne Rd., Albany, NY 12211.

Marlene Fennimore Molinaro

GUILDERLAND — Marlene Fennimore Molinaro kept a spotless home that was also comfortable. She never locked her back door, always ready to offer friends and neighbors a safe haven.

She went to church every day, and lived her faith. After her only child had grown, she was the proprietor of a gift and card shop and loved sharing her decorating expertise with others.

Mrs. Molinaro died on Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2010, at the age of 69.

“She was very loving and very happy,” said her daughter, Amy Sementelli. “She always saw the good in people. I never heard her say anything negative about anyone.”

Mrs. Molinaro grew up in Little Falls, N.Y. Her father, Frederick Fennimore, died when she was just 17 days old, so she was raised by her mother, Mary Fennimore.

She enjoyed playing the clarinet and was in the school band and choir, her daughter said. She graduated from Little Falls High School.

She met the man who would become her husband, Thomas F. Molinaro, at a friend’s wedding. “She was standing up at a wedding with him,” said Dr. Sementilli. They were married at St. Joseph’s Parish Church in Little Falls on Nov. 7, 1964. They had a strong and loving marriage that lasted until his death on Oct. 29, 1998.

The couple moved to Guilderland 40 years ago when Mr. Molinaro got a state job.

A graduate of Albany Business College, Mrs. Molinaro began her work career as a medical secretary. But she gave up work to be at home to raise her child.

“She was a fantastic mother,” said Dr. Sementilli, who is now a dentist. She added through tears, “Everything revolved around me.”

During her daughter’s formative years, Mrs. Molinaro was active as a member and president of the Guilderland Parent-Teacher Association. She was also a Girl Scout leader.

The family never locked their home’s back door as friends and neighbors regularly dropped in. “We always had an open-door policy,” said Dr. Sementilli.

Mrs. Molinaro was a “phenomenal cook,” said her daughter. Sometimes Mrs. Molaniro and her husband would cook favorite Italian dishes together. “She’d make the pasta and he’d make the sauce,” said Dr. Sementilli.

“She was a homemaker in the true sense of the word,” said Dr. Sementilli. “Our house was always spotless but very comfortable….Everybody was welcome. There was a meal for anyone who stopped by.”

The neighborhood children, she said, would wait for their school bus inside the Molinaros’ home when the weather was bad; Mrs. Molinaro would make sure they were safe, said her daughter.

Mrs. Molinaro was “very religious,” her daughter said; she went to Saint Madeleine Sophie Church in Guilderland every morning. Mrs. Molinaro participated in the Ladies’ Association and as a Eucharistic minister, catechist, and Pre-Cana instructor.

From 1982 to 1995, after her daughter had grown, Mrs. Molinaro and her best friend, Joan Duda, were the proprietors of the Rainbow’s End and later Mary’s Hallmark Store, both located in Scotia.

“She loved it,” Dr. Sementilli said of her mother’s shop. “It was her forté. She loved to decorate. She’d decorate the house for every holiday. Christmas was her favorite.”

Dr. Sementelli concluded of her mother, “You could ask her to do anything and she would. She was sweet and kind.”


Marlene Fennimore Molinaro is survived by her mother, Mary Fennimore, of Little Falls; by her daughter, Dr. Amy Sementilli and her husband, Anthony; and by her grandchildren, Anthony, Dominic, and Chiara Sementilli — all of Rotterdam.

She is also survived by her dearest friend, Joan Duda, and several cousins.

A funeral was held at the DeMarco-Stone Funeral Home in Rotterdam on Tuesday, followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at the Church of St. Madeleine Sophie in Guilderland with burial in St. Mary’s Cemetery in Herkimer, N.Y.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Teresian House, 200 Washington Avenue Extension, Albany, NY 12203.

— Melissa Hale-Spencer


Bernard H. “George” Mulson

KNOX — Bernard Mulson, a Navy man who kept a steady keel, died on Dec. 23, 2010. He was 93.

Born in Brunswick, N.Y. to Bernard H. and Jennie Mulson on Oct. 25, 1917, Mr. Mulson grew up in an area of Albany that was once rural.

When he was 17, he lied about his age to join the New York National Guard, said his son, Kurt Mulson. He served in Company A of the 10th Infantry at the Washington Avenue Armory in Albany. Two years later, he enlisted in the Navy and graduated from boot camp training at the Naval Operating Base in Norfolk, Va.

He served aboard the U.S.S. Wright as a seaplane tender and the U.S.S. Memphis as a light cruiser.

“He loved being on the sea,” said his son; he liked coming in to ports around the world. Coming in to port once, Mr. Mulson was standing on deck with the captain, who gave him the wheel to bring in the ship, his son said.

His father was shaped by the discipline and regimentation of the Navy and carried it throughout his life. Mr. Mulson woke at 6 a.m. every morning and ate a breakfast of eggs and bacon, he said.

After being honorably discharged with the rank of Seaman First Class at the Naval Air Station in San Diego, Calif. in 1940, he worked for the Standard Dredging Corporation as a welder, to make the harbor in San Diego Bay deeper so that large aircraft carriers could anchor there.

Coming back East, Mr. Mulson worked at the American Locomotive Company, building M-4 Army tanks.

In 1944, he enlisted again and served aboard the U.S.S. L.S.T. 947 at the invasion of Okinawa. After the Japanese surrender, he made two trips from the Philippines to Japan with the U.S. occupation troops, his family wrote in a tribute. He was honorably discharged for the second time in December of 1945 with the rank of Boatswain Mate Second Class.

Mr. Mulson met the woman who would become his wife at the hairdresser’s, she said. The hairdresser had a shop in her house and Mr. Mulson was a trapping and hunting friend of her brother.

The couple was together for a couple of years before eloping. “He wasn’t a Catholic,” Eileen Gleason Mulson said in explanation, “So I just put some things in a bag; I didn’t even have a suitcase.”

Of what drew her to him, she said, he was “older and wiser, I guess.” Mr. Mulson was nearly 10 years her senior.

When they were fixing up their first house in Nassau, Mr. Mulson planted a garden, she said, and she learned to can and freeze vegetables.

“He always lived very close to the land,” Kurt Mulson said. His father kept lambs, pigs, cows, and chickens and he’d butcher his own meat.

The couple moved from their house in Nassau, Mrs. Mulson said, because “the house we had only had two bedrooms. We first had a boy and then we had a girl. I said, ‘They’ve got to have bedrooms.’”

So they moved to Old Stage Road in Knox and had two more children; they lived there for more than 50 years.

“He used to say, ‘I’m going out to plow the rocks,’” his son remembered Mr. Mulson joking about the Helderberg land.

He spent his retirement farming naturally and organically, his family wrote. Before that, he worked for John V. Warren, Inc. as a field supervisor for 27 years. He was a member of the Local #7 Plumbers and Steamfitters Union for more than 50 years.

“I’m a second-generation steamfitter,” Kurt Mulson said, explaining that he was entering his apprenticeship in 1979 when his father was leaving the trade.

“He was a hard worker,” Mrs. Mulson said of her husband. Even when he had back trouble, he’d be out in the garden on his hands and knees, she said.

“He mellowed through the years,” she said, but they always got along.

Everyone respected his father, Kurt Mulson said. “He didn’t paint a rosy picture,” he said, but he was honest.

“I liked the water, he liked the woods, but we managed both,” Mrs. Mulson said.


Mr. Mulson is survived by his wife of 61 years, Eileen Gleason Mulson, and their four children: Karl Mulson and his wife, Pam, of East Berne; Kurt Mulson and his wife, Terri, of East Berne; Kathryn Giebitz and her husband, Paul, of East Berne; and Karen Dinardi and her husband, Nick, of Hudson. He is also survived by seven grandchildren: Jordan Mulson; Matthew and Gregory Mulson; Adam, Alex, and Aaron Giebitz; and Meghan Dinardi; and one great-grandson, Judah Mulson. He is also survived by his sister-in-law, Winona Mulson, and many nieces and nephews of Colorado Springs and Vale, Colo.

His brother, Malcolm R. “Bob” Mulson, died before him.

Funeral arrangements were by the Fredendall Funeral Home in Altamont.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Knox Fire Department, Post Office Box 131, Knox, NY 12107 or the Helderberg Ambulance Squad, Post Office Box 54, East Berne, NY 12059.

— Saranac Hale Spencer

Anita Beatrice Sabol

Anita Beatrice Sabol, a mother and grandmother who held a variety of jobs, died on Friday, Dec. 24, 2010, at Barnwell Nursing Home and Rehabilitation Center in Valatie, N.Y. after a lengthy illness. She was 86.

“She enjoyed writing fiction, gardening, cake decorating, reading, music, and walking,” her family wrote in a tribute.

Born in New York City on Oct. 4, 1924, she was the daughter of George and Christina (Michaelcsik) Sabol. She grew up in Tarrytown, N.Y. and graduated from North Country Community College in 1970 with an associate in arts degree. She continued her education at the State University of New York College at Plattsburgh, earning a bachelor of arts degree in 1972 and a master of science in education degree in 1974.

She was employed at the American Management Association, the Adirondack Daily Enterprise, and North Country Community College in Saranac Lake, N.Y. In 1975, she moved to Hollywood, Fla. where she worked for the City of Hollywood Social Services Department. She later moved to North Miami, Fla. to care for her parents and enjoyed a retail career at Macy’s Department Store.

She returned to New York State in 1998 to Silver Bay, N.Y. She also lived in Whitehall and Queensbury, N.Y.

She is survived by her children, Basil Johnson Jr. and Barbara Johnson of Saranac Lake, and Marie Kaye of Altamont; her grandchildren, Alida Johnson of Federal Way, Wash., Jennifer Kaye of Altamont, Laura Guerrette of Plattsburgh, N.Y., Genevieve and Dylan Guerrette of Saranac Lake, N.Y.; her former husband, Basil Johnson Sr., of Bloomingdale, N.Y.; and many nieces and nephews.

Her parents, George and Christine Sabol, died before her as did her stepmother, Mary Sabol; her brother, George Sabol; and her dear friend Ludwig Kasal of Silver Bay, N.Y.

A memorial service was held at the Fortune-Keough Funeral in Saranac Lake on Wednesday, Dec. 29. Interment will be at a later date in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery in Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.

[Return to Home Page]