[Home Page] [This Week] [Classifieds] [Legals] [Obituaries] [Newsstands] [Subscriptions] [Advertising] [Deadlines] [About Us] [FAQ] [Archives] [Community Links] [Contact Us]

Sports Archives — The Altamont Enterprise, November 4, 2010

Blackbirds knocked out of Class C by Lake George

By Jordan J. Michael

LAKE GEORGE –– Voorheesville’s chances of repeating as a sectional champion were ousted by a few questionable calls on Monday in Lake George.

The Warriors won the Class C quarterfinal, 2 to 1, but not without any controversy.

With about five minutes left, and the score at 2 to 1, the Blackbirds’ Zach Jones played a ball into the box and Andrew Cole went skyward to challenge for a header. Lake George’s keeper, Ryan Moll, ran into Cole as the ball rolled away. No penalty was called.

“The goalie hit me and it felt like a hard push from him,” Cole said after the game. “I was thinking of getting a penalty kick, but the referee thought otherwise.”

Just before Cole’s interaction with Moll, the officials called off a Voorheesville goal after a Blackbird player collided with Moll, jarring the ball loose. The ball was kicked into the goal, but the tying tally was wiped clean.

“It could have been called either way,” Voorheesville Head Coach Willie Sanchez said. “We weren’t getting consistent calls today.”

Five minutes into the first half, the Birds played the ball through the midfield and Blake Fenner got it out wide. Fenner let go a shot that beat Moll, hitting the netting right behind the crossbar, and then bouncing back into play where Moll pounced on it.

“That was definitely a goal, but the referee was out of position,” Sanchez said. “They gave no reasons for any of the calls and didn’t want to hear anything. It’s unfortunate when refs have such an impact on the game. It wasn’t the only reason, but it was a big reason. We worked hard, but things were out of our control.”

Senior Joe Cillis told The Enterprise that Monday’s game was one of the best all year for Voorheesville. “We hit two posts and missed some other shots,” he said. “There were some weird calls. The officiating wasn’t there.”

The first half ended in a 0-to-0 tie, but the Warriors came out in the second half and scored two goals in the first 20 minutes. Aaron Chambers sent in a cross after a deflection and Carson Lambert made contact with the ball for the score. Seven minutes later, Mason Vreugde’s shot was deflected by a Birds’ defender and the ball rainbowed over goalie Joe Keenan for a 2-to-0 lead.

“We played a fantastic game, but sometimes the better team doesn’t win,” Sanchez said. Voorheesville had lost to Lake George in the Class C quarterfinal game in 2008. “We didn’t have equal opportunity today and we’re upset about it,” said the coach.

Junior David Suozzo pounded a goal home with 12 minutes left in regulation play to give the Blackbirds a chance.

“We just have to get over it,” Cole said. “We played well, but another goal just didn’t happen.”

[Return to Home Page]