[Home Page] [This Week] [Classifieds] [Legals] [Obituaries] [Newsstands] [Subscriptions] [Advertising] [Deadlines] [About Us] [FAQ] [Archives] [Community Links] [Contact Us]

Obituaries Archives — The Altamont Enterprise, November 11, 2010

Kathleen Bennett

RENSSELAERVILLE — Kathleen B. Bennett was a devoted mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother, who loved to travel.

She died on Friday, Nov. 5, 2010 in the Guilderland Center Nursing Home. She was 91.

“She was very loving, and caring, and supportive,” said her daughter, Kathleen Hallenbeck. “She was always willing to help somebody through whatever was going on…Just a very outgoing person.”

Mrs. Bennett was born in Albany on Aug. 5, 1919, the daughter of the late Edward J. and Delia (Clancy) Bruso. She later graduated from the old Vincentian Institute in Albany.

Mrs. Bennett loved Rensselaerville and was active in community affairs. She was a member of the American Legion Clark White Post 589 Auxiliary for 59 years, as well as the Rensselaerville Library, the Rensselaerville Volunteer Ambulance Squad, and a number of other organizations in town. She was also a member of St. John the Baptist Church in Greenville.

In her youth, Mrs. Bennett’s family had a camp at Myosotis Lake in Rensselaerville.

“That’s where she met my father,” Mrs. Hallenbeck said of her mother, although, at the funeral Tuesday, family members shared differing stories of how exactly the two met, she said.

“Years ago, the people who lived in the campgrounds and people in the hamlet had what they call the Trailblaze,” said Mrs. Hallenbeck. “Everyone in the hamlet, they’d go up to the ball field, which used to be behind my house, and they’d have a picnic and ballgame. So it had to be at one of those instances where they met.”

On June 15, 1940, Kathleen Bruso married Stanley D. Bennett. They made a home on Main Street in Rensselaerville, and raised four children.

Before her marriage, Mrs. Bennett worked at the old D&H Railroad Building in downtown Albany. She later worked as a secretary at the Rensselaerville Institute of Man and Science, and was the district clerk for Greenville Central School until her retirement in the 1980s.

Mrs. Bennett always enjoyed traveling, and with children living in Arizona, Connecticut, and nearby Ballston Lake, and other relatives spread across the country, she had plenty of reason to do so.

“So she didn’t have to drive on highways, she would hop on a bus to Foxwoods in Connecticut, and my brother would pick her up so she wouldn’t have to drive those highways,” her daughter, Mrs. Hallenbeck, said. “She loved her vacations, seeing different sites and different cultures, anywhere she could go…After she retired in the late ‘90s, she and a friend did Ireland and Scotland. It was a two-week trip, and they hit many countries over in that area.”

Mrs. Hallenbeck, the town clerk for Rensselaerville, used to get help from her mother when she first began her work there a generation ago.

“She was a deputy town clerk for me,” she said of her mother. “When I went away, she would be there to do taxes, and back then it wasn’t a paid position.”

They went to church together, and went on picnics at Myosotis Lake. They also took trips to Albany to visit Mrs. Bennett’s late mother.

“Every Friday, when she was in the nursing home, we would walk and look at pictures, look at books, look at the flowers,” her daughter said. “She enjoyed looking at the flowers.”

Mrs. Bennett used to plant flowers for the Rensselaerville Library.

“That was one of her goals — to keep the flowers of the library alive,” said Mrs. Hallenbeck.


Mrs. Bennett is survived by her daughter, Kathleen A. Hallenbeck and her husband, Frank, of Rensselaerville; her son, Michael Bennett of Bozrah, Conn.; her son, Lee Bennett and his wife, Jennifer, of Ballston Lake; and her daughter-in-law, Randi Bennett of Phoenix, Ariz.

She is also survived by eight grandchildren: Kathleen Hallenbeck, William Hallenbeck, Jennifer Somers-Isby, Christopher Bennett, Melissa Bennett, Lauren Bennett, Debra Wagner, and Dana Cooke.

She is survived, too, by 11 great-grandchildren, several nieces and nephews, and her brother, Eugene Brousseau of Clifton Park.

Her husband, Stanley D. Bennett, died in 1987. Her son, Richard Bennett, her brothers Francis, Edward, and Howard, and sisters, Delores and Mary Ethel, died before her as well.

There was a funeral service Tuesday, Nov. 9, with a Mass of Christian burial at St. John the Baptist Church in Greenville, and interment followed at Rensselaerville cemetery. The Clark White Post 589 Auxiliary held a service on Monday evening.

Arrangements were made by the A.J. Cunningham Funeral Home in Greenville. Mourners may light a candle at ajcunninghamfh.com.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Rensselaerville Volunteer Ambulance Squad, Post Office Box 182, Rensselaerville, NY 12147.

— Zach Simeone

Frederick Stanley Bosset

BERNE — Frederick Stanley Bosset was a World War II veteran who lived and loved the American dream, his daughter said.

He died on Wednesday, Nov. 3, 2010 at the Albany Veterans Affairs Hospital and “went straight to Heaven,” his family wrote in a tribute. He was 94.

“He was my first encounter with a living saint,” said his daughter, Dyan Campbell, holding back tears. “And he was so handsome, my God.”

While in the Army, Mr. Bosset was staff sergeant in Special Services on Leyte in the Pacific.

“He had a beautiful service at the cemetery,” his daughter said Monday, “with the honor guard playing taps, which was just what he wanted. He was buried in his original Army outfit with his medals…I said a few weeks ago, ‘Would you like to wear your uniform at your funeral?’ He lit up like a light bulb.”

Mr. Bosset loved the Helderbergs, his daughter went on. He grew up in New Jersey, but moved back and forth between there and Berne, both before and after he was married.

“His dad died when he was 12 or 13, and he left home in New Jersey and came up here,” said his daughter. “His stepfather was a Sisson, so he had that connection. He taught himself to hunt, and fish, and trap, and absolutely loved being in this area.”

And Mr. Bosset knew just about everybody, she said.

“He had tons of friends, tons of stories of the Shell Inn and different places, and how they’d go out every Friday night to drink some beers, have a fight, and maybe square dance,” Mrs. Campbell said of her father. “People came to the funeral service, and said that he used to hunt with their grandfathers.”

Mr. Bosset was an avid hunter. Through his 80s, he routinely made the 12-hour drive to Jackman Station, Maine, by himself. He was in the Biggest Bucks Club there.

“He started hunting up there when he was in his teens,” his daughter said. “The last few years, he became part of a moose hunting tribe up there. He made the moose roaster, the big spit they’d roast the moose on. They’d have a big moose roast every year.”

Mr. Bosset loved to fish on freshwater lakes and streams, and near the Thousand Islands, his family wrote in a tribute.

“He loved life, found pleasure and happiness in the smallest things, and was generous with his time and talents,” his family wrote. He was a tile setter and bricklayer by trade, and was also a carpenter and builder, and was skilled in both racing and repairing cars.

“He was a great steward of the earth,” his daughter said. “G.O.D. to him meant the Great Out Doors,” his family wrote. He mowed his property with such care, she said, that his home looked like a park. And Mr. Bosset loved nature.

“Two raccoons had been born in my parents’ chimney, and he raised them,” Ms. Campbell said. “There was a pool in our backyard, and the baby raccoons used to come out with him and go in the pool. But they couldn’t get out, so he built a little ramp so they could get out of the pool.”

His love for animals was not without a sense of humor, she went on.

“He’d say, ‘You really want to have some fun? Get some fishing line and tie it to a rubber worm, and stake it in the yard, and then watch those young robins,” Ms. Campbell said with a laugh. “He just loved watching nature.”

Mr. Bosset also liked taking trips to Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun, and he always gave away his winnings and points to his daughter.

“He loved going to Stewart’s daily to buy those lucky scratch-offs, and winning,” his family wrote. And he was an Italian Catholic who loved Italian food.

But most importantly, Ms. Campbell said, he always showed his love for his family and friends.

“He just loved life,” his daughter said. “He’d always say, ‘OK, I’m going now. Tell everybody I love them.’ ”


Mr. Bosset is survived by his daughter, Dyan Campbell; his grandson, Austin Campbell; his brother, George, his sisters-in-law, Pat and Pauline; and his many nieces and nephews.

His wife, Ellajane, died before him, as did his brother Pete.

A funeral service was held on Monday, Nov. 8, 2010, at the Fredendall Funeral Home in Altamont, followed by interment in the Woodlawn Cemetery in Berne.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Disabled American Veterans, care of Stratton Veteran Affairs Medical Center, 113 Holland Ave., 272K3, Albany, NY 12208, or to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Post Office Box 1893, Memphis, TN. 38101-9950.

— Zach Simeone

Sandra A. Brunk

DELMAR — Sandra Brunk, a nurse and an advocate for children with special needs, was a strong-minded and caring person her whole life.

She died on Friday, Oct. 29, 2010, at St. Peter’s Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Albany. She was 66.

Born in Troy, Ms. Brunk grew up in Altamont, daughter of the late Raymond and Alice Spiak Brunk. Her father ran Brunk’s Restaurant in Altamont and later ran a clothing store at the corner of Main and Maple in Altamont, and had a lumber business as well. Her mother was involved in the family businesses as the couple raised four children.

“She was a very outgoing person,’ said her brother, Peter Brunk, even as a child. “She went on to Plattsburg State to become a nurse.”

After graduating, Ms. Brunk, a registered nurse, worked at Albany Medical Center, he said, and then became a school nurse for the Schodack Central School District. She retired from the school district 14 years ago.

“She got services for the special-needs kids,” said her brother. “She wouldn’t take ‘no’ for an answer. She knew what they were entitled to and she fought for the kids to get what they needed.”

Mr. Brunk went on about his sister, “She was always a strong-minded person…Her hobby was helping people. She would go and do anything for anybody. She took friends to appointments for cancer treatments. She was always the first one to visit someone in the hospital.

“She was a very caring person,’ he concluded. “Very giving.”


Sandra A. Brunk is survived by her brother, Richard Brunk and his wife, June, of Altamont; his sister, Linda DeSarbo, and her husband, Paul, of Troy; and her brother Peter Brunk and his wife, Pam Klarsfeld, of Altamont. She is also survived by her nieces and nephews, Heather Adams, Julie Greco, and Colin, Kara, Keven, and Benjamin Brunk.

Funeral services were held at the McNulty Funeral Home on Green Island with interment at Prospect Hill Cemetery in Guilderland.

— Melissa Hale-Spencer

Rufus W. Burlingame

ALTAMONT — Rufus W. Burlingame, a World War II veteran, died on Friday, Nov. 5, 2010. He was 90.

He was born on Sept. 27, 1920, in Albany, the son of the late Westcott and Mary E. Burlingame. He graduated from the Albany Academy for Boys, and served in the United States Army during World War II.

He received a degree in electrical engineering from Union College.

He loved his two cats, Winniesue and Blackie.
He is survived by his best friend and fiancee, Ruth Serafini, and three children, Barrie and Rufus Burlingame and Elizabeth Seay.

A funeral service will be held at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 13, at the Fredendall Funeral Home in Altamont. A private interment will be held in Albany Rural Cemetery.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Altamont Rescue Squad, 767 Route 146, Altamont, NY 12009.

Patricia L. Harrison

GUILDERLAND — Patricia L. Harrison, called Pat, was a devoted mother with a strong will. She died on Thursday, Oct. 28, 2010.

She was born in Greeley, Pa., on July 13, 1932, the daughter of the late Gilbert and Myrtle Rosencrance. She graduated from Hawley High School in the Class of 1950, and attended East Stroudsburg State College.

Mrs. Harrison worked in real estate sales in Guilderland for many years, and her son, John Harrison, said her strong will made her an excellent salesperson.

“She didn’t like to take ‘no’ for an answer,” said her son. He said it was also her strong will that made her dedicated to her causes, including local politics.

“She was a tireless worker, and had very strong opinions — and she stuck to them,” said Mr. Harrison.

She was not only a dedicated worker, she was a dedicated mother, said her son.

“She always looked out for me and my sister, and she would do anything for us,” he said. Mr. Harrison said his mother ran a “tight ship” at home, and especially encouraged her children to get a good education.

“She was also very supportive of my father, and she loved him dearly. She was terrific with him,” Mr. Harrison concluded. “They made a great team.” Mrs. Harrison’s husband, John F. “Jack” Harrison, died four years ago, after 49 years of marriage.

She is survived by her two children, John F. Harrison III, and his wife, Caren, of Duxbury, Mass., and Kelly Harrison, and her husband, Harold, of Redmond, OR; and four grandchildren, Elizabeth, Christopher, Timothy, and Catherine Harrison, also of Duxbury, Mass.

Her sister, Judith Rosencrance, died before her.

Funeral services will be private at the convenience of the family.

— Anne Hayden

Edith (Burroughs) MacIntosh

WESTERLO — Edith (Burroughs) MacIntosh, who looked after people and was looked after in return, died on Saturday, Nov. 6, 2010, at the Good Samaritan Lutheran Health Care Center in Delmar. She was 87.

Born to the late Nellie (Witbeck) and Egbert Burroughs in Colonie, Mrs. MacIntosh graduated from Mt. Pleasant High School. She then worked in the New York State Department of Tax and Finance for 26 years.

Mrs. MacIntosh cared for her mother until she married Kenneth M. MacIntosh in 1969; he died in 1980.

“Edith loved life and loved helping others,” her family wrote in a tribute. “She was an inspiration to all who knew her and devoted her life to serving the Lord.”

For more than 28 years, Mrs. MacIntosh taught Sunday school at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church. She enjoyed traveling with her husband before they built their home and settled in Westerlo. After her husband died, Mrs. MacIntosh became very active in the First Baptist Church of Westerlo and taught Sunday school for another 20 years.

Mrs. MacIntosh was a member of several Bible study groups and held one-on-one Bible studies in her home. She also spent hours on the phone for her prayer chain and she always sent get-well cards to members of her church.

Each Monday she spent volunteering at the Westerlo Senior Services Center, serving lunches; she loved the other volunteers and those who came to dine.

“She never got her driver’s license, but was blessed with special neighbors, friends and relatives that would take her to church, shopping, on day trips, out to lunch, or to doctor’s appointments,” her family wrote. “Edith was loved by so many at the First Baptist Church of Westerlo, they surprised her with an 80th birthday party for her with all her friends and family. She felt truly blessed by having so many caring and loving friends over her many years.”


Mrs. MacIntosh is survived by her very dearest and loving friend for over 24 years, Donald Britton, and by her devoted and care-giving niece and goddaughter, Linda (Burroughs) Healy, who was like a daughter. She is also survived by several other nieces, nephews, grandnieces, grandnephews, great-grandnieces, and great-grandnephews as well as many friends.

She was the sister of the late Harold, Henry, Sam, Alton, and Raymond Burroughs, Ann Porter, and Hazel Dittmar.

Her family thanks Alfred and Sandy Crewell, her neighbors, for all of their support over the years.

Funeral services will be today, Thursday, Nov.11, at 1 p.m. at the First Baptist Church of Westerlo, 618 Route 143, Westerlo. Calling hours will be held in the church, starting at noon. Interment will be at 11 a.m. on Friday in the Memory Garden Cemetery in Albany. Arrangements are by the A. J. Cunningham Funeral Home in Greenville and messages for her family may be left on its website: www.ajcunninghamfh.com.

Memorial contributions may be made to the First Baptist Church of Westerlo, Post Office Box 130, Westerlo, NY 12193 or to the Community Hospice of Albany County, 445 New Karner Road, Albany, NY 12205.

Arthur Edward Stanton

CLARKSVILLE — Arthur Edward Stanton, a veteran who was proud to serve his country in Vietnam, marched in local parades with the color guard of the Altamont Veterans of Foreign Wars.

“He always carried the American flag,” said his wife, Darlene Stanton.

Mr. Stanton died on Wednesday, Nov. 3, 2010, at Albany Memorial Hospital, surrounded by his loving family. He was 62.

He was born on April 2, 1948 in Albany to Arthur Stanton and Mary Floeser; both are now deceased. He was part of a large family of four brothers and four sisters. Their father worked for First Prize Meat Packing and their mother stayed at home to raise them.

“He didn’t particularly care for school,” said his wife, “but he enjoyed serving his country.”

He was drafted in 1967, during the Vietnam War. “He was drafted into the Army,” said his wife, “but, after he took the physical, he asked to join the Navy.”

He served for three years and 21 days, and did two tours in Vietnam.

After being discharged, Stanton went to work for Hudson Valley Paper Company, where he worked for 40 years.

“He liked driving trucks,” said his wife. “He liked being out on the road, being his own boss.”

He retired this past April 12, on his 62nd birthday.

Mr. Stanton met the woman who would become his wife when she was tending bar at the Black Horse Inn on Broadway in Albany where he was a regular customer. “We’ve been together ever since — 25 years,” said Mrs. Stanton.

“He was drinking and I was going that way so I gave him a ride home,” said Mrs. Stanton, adding that he liked to tell friends, “She drove me home and never left.”

The couple settled in Clarksville, where Mr. Stanton took great pride in maintaining their yard. “He was meticulous,” said his wife, and he was particularly proud of his rose bushes.

A NASCAR fan, he also enjoyed hunting and fishing.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Stanton were active in the Boyd Hilton Post VFW 7062 in Altamont. “He loved going to the post and talking to his friends there,” said Mrs. Stanton.

One of his favorite projects was raising funds for the sheriff’s department Hilltown Christmas festivities.

“We didn’t have kids of our own, so we always took care of others,” said Mrs. Stanton. “He liked making the kids smile. We did it together every year.”

She concluded of her husband, “He was a very quiet man. He didn’t like crowds; he liked to be at home with me….He could be grumpy, but he was caring and loving. If you were his friend, he’d do anything in the world for you.”


Mr. Stanton is survived by his loving wife, Darlene Ann (Hendrickson) Stanton, his brother and sister-in-law Robert and Sherry Stanton, his mother-in-law, Mary Ann Hendrickson, and his brother-in-law, David Hendrickson. He is also survived by four sisters and a brother as well as many nieces and nephews.

A graveside service was held at the Onesquethaw Cemetery in Clarksville. There will be no calling hours.

Memorial contributions may be made to the VFW 7062 Ladies Auxiliary (earmarked Hilltown Children’s Christmas) Post Office Box 505, Altamont, NY 12009.

Mr. Stanton’s family thanks the nursing staff at Albany Memorial Hospital for their help in taking care of him and they extend special thanks to Dr. James Puleo Jr., Dr. Mirza, and Dr. Sokal.

Melissa Hale-Spencer

[Return to Home Page]