[Home Page] [This Week] [Classifieds] [Legals] [Obituaries] [Newsstands] [Subscriptions] [Advertising] [Deadlines] [About Us] [FAQ] [Archives] [Community Links] [Contact Us]

Hilltown Archives — The Altamont Enterprise, August 5, 2010

Phone line connects Albany County residents with service providers

ALBANY COUNTY — Residents seeking information about long-term care and services may call Albany County — NY Connects to speak with a caseworker; the number is 447-7177.

The staff is on duty weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

“People call in, and we try to match them with services,” said Mary Duryea, communications director at the Albany County Executive’s Office.

“There are people we don’t know about we want to try to reach,” she said.

These are some of the services callers can learn about:

Consumer and caregiver supports such as respite care, case/care management, friendly visitors, and advocacy;

Supports for children such as early intervention and special education;

Facility-based services such as adult day care programs and nursing homes;

Home-based services such as home-health or personal-care services, home delivered meals, personal emergency, and response systems;

Insurance and benefit information and counseling on long-term care insurance, Medicare or Medicaid, veterans’ benefits, and welfare rights;

Nutrition and wellness programs such as congregate meals, Food Stamps, and nutrition assessment services;

Protective and preventative services for information on how to prevent or report situations of abuse, neglect, or exploitation of individuals;

Residential housing options and supports such as adult residential care facilities, assisted living facilities, low-income and subsidized housing, and utility payment assistance programs;

Support groups and counseling for caregivers, children, and adults with disabilities, and elderly adults;

Transportation options for automobile and van adaptations as well as programs to transport the disabled elderly; and

Other information and assistance can also be provided on legal services, mental health or substance abuse programs, home modification programs, and property tax exemptions.

Melissa Hale-Spencer

[Return to Home Page]