[Home Page] [This Week] [Classifieds] [Legals] [Obituaries] [Newsstands] [Subscriptions] [Advertising] [Deadlines] [About Us] [FAQ] [Archives] [Community Links] [Contact Us]

Obituaries Archives — The Altamont Enterprise, May 14, 2009

Marshall V. Frisbee

NEW SCOTLAND — Marshall Frisbee, who worked hard all his life and liked his job with the Bethlehem water district, died on May 10, 2009. He was 89.

Born in Guilderland to the late George and Madeline Frisbee, Mr. Frisbee grew up in a big family between there and New Scotland. He and his brothers learned young to trap for fur to support the family, said his daughter, Beverly MacMillen.

During World War II, Mr. Frisbee was in the Army and drove a truck in Italy, Mrs. MacMillen said. She has pictures of him there, she said, although he didn’t talk much about it.

When he came back from the war, he worked at the Fort Orange Paper Company and then for the railroad, Mrs. MacMillen said, before he worked for Bethlehem. Mr. Frisbee spent many years in a job he enjoyed there, with his brother, the late Leland Frisbee.

Mr. Frisbee continued to trap and also liked to hunt and fish and play pinochle with his family and friends, his family wrote in a tribute.

“He was a good father. He was a hard worker,” said Mrs. MacMillen. Her father would work extra hours so that he could take his family on summer vacations, she said, and they would go, “wherever the summer took us.” Later on, he traveled around the country, including on a trip to Hawaii, Mrs. MacMillen said.

Mr. Frisbee was an outgoing man who liked people, his daughter said. His last five weeks he spent in the Good Samaritan Lutheran Home where he continued to make new friends, she said.

“I knew my dad always as a worker,” Mrs. MacMillen concluded.


Mr. Frisbee is survived by his daughters, Sandra Beardslee and her husband, Bill, of North Carolina, and Beverley MacMillen and her husband, Earl, of Voorheesville. He is also survived by his brother, Everett Frisbee, of Pennsylvania and his sister, Celia Booth, of Mississippi. He is also survived by his four grandchildren: Dawn Stefani; Janet D’Angelo and her husband, Larry; David MacMillen; and Billy Beardslee, as well as by five great-grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.

His wife, Mabel Jacobson Frisbee, died before him, as did his five brothers — Stanton, Walter, Irving, Leland, and Gordon Frisbee.

Funeral services will be private at the request of the family and arrangements are by the Fredendall Funeral Home in Altamont.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Unionville Reformed Church, 1134 Delaware Turnpike, Delmar, NY 12054 or to the Voorheesville Ambulance, 21 Voorheesville Ave., Voorheesville, NY 12186.

— Saranac Hale Spencer

Charles A. Palombo

Charles A. Palombo was an accountant who sang with a deep baritone voice and made macaroni by hand, the old-fashioned Italian way.

“His kids were everything to him,” said his sister, Donna Ostrander. “His world revolved around his three daughters. He liked things simple.”

Mr. Palombo, who spent his youth in the Hilltowns, and raised his family in Clifton Park, died on Friday, May 8, 2009, at Ellis Hospital after a brief illness. He was 70.

He was born in Schenectady on March 21, 1939, the son of the late Harry Palombo and Leona Trotter.

His family moved from Schenectady to the Hilltowns when he was in ninth grade. “He loved it up here,” said his sister. “He connected so well in school with his classmates. A number of them came to his viewing.”

Harry Palombo owned the Township Hotel in Knox. “It was a bar and restaurant. My father did all the cooking,” said Ms. Ostrander. “We always loved family dinners. We had homemade everything.”

Charles Palombo carried on the family tradition, making macaroni — both the sauce and the noodles — by hand. “He loved to cook. He always said, ‘Keep it simple,’” but then prepared elaborate meals, said his sister.

Mr. Palombo graduated from Berne-Knox High School in 1957. “He was a history buff,” said Ms. Ostrander. “He always wanted to be a history teacher.”

Instead, he went directly into the Army after high school graduation. He served in the Army from 1957 to 1963 as an intelligence specialist, receiving a Good Conduct Medal as well as a certificate of recognition for service during the Cold War. He was a member of the American Legion in Clifton Park.

“He was very closed-mouthed about it, because he had to be,” Ms. Ostrander said of her brother’s work for the Army.

Mr. Palombo loved his work as an accountant, she said. He began his career as an accountant in Albany with Anderson Equipment and later became the chief financial officer of Carman Trucking Company. During this time, he served on the boards of directors for both the New York State Motor Truck Association and the New York State Compensation Board.

Despite the demands of his work, said Ms. Ostrander, “He always found time for his family.”

He met his wife of 44 years, Janet Freer Palombo, through a friend, his sister said. They had three daughters — Allison, Patricia, and Carol Ann.

“Two of them became teachers, and one of them became a history teacher,” said Ms. Ostrander. “She knew that was what her father always wanted.”

Mr. Palombo kept up a lifelong interest in history, starting with the first take. “He’d read the paper every day from start to finish,” said Ms. Ostrander. “He was always sending me articles.”

Mr. Palombo liked to sing and was a former member of the Mendelssohn Club, where he put his baritone voice to good use. “He loved classical music,” said his sister. “Whenever you went to his house, you would hear it playing.”

Mr. Palomobo also enjoyed watching the wildlife in his yard. “We both loved the birds and animals,” said his sister. “He was a jokester. We would talk about the birds at his feeder and he would tell me he had a 20-pound chipmunk. He was always joking around.”

She concluded, “But his daughters were the love of his life.”


Charles A. Palombo is survived by his wife, Janet Freer Palombo; his daughters, Allison Bush and her husband, Lou, of Halfmoon, Patricia Manocchi and her husband, Richard, of Glenville, and Carol Ann McCarthy and her husband, James, of Malta; and five grandchildren, Alyssa, Christian, Jordan, Ashley, and Bella.

He is also survived by three sisters, Bernice Hart of Schenectady, Carol Warner of New York City, and Donna Ostrander of Knox; his stepmother, Delia Palombo of Knox; and many nieces and nephews.

His brother, John Palombo, died before him.

Funeral services were held Tuesday, May 12, at the Gordon C. Emerick Funeral Home in Clifton Park followed by a ceremony at Saratoga National Cemetery.

— Melissa Hale-Spencer

Charles Keith Shultes

BERNE — Charles Keith Shultes, an engineer who worked for the federal government, died on Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2009 of natural causes in New Jersey where he had lived. He was 93.

Born July 16, 1915 in West Berne, the first child of Verni and Mertie Shultes, he grew up on their farm. He entered Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute as a teenager and received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in electrical engineering there. He entered the federal government at Fort Monmouth, in 1939 and was assigned to Office of the Chief Signal Officer at the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. in 10940.

There he met and, on Oct. 22, 1944, married co-worker Kathryn Crane of Port Jervis, N.Y.

In 1945, he returned to Signal Corps Engineering Laboratories at Fort Monmouth. There he became Civilian Director of Evans Signal Laboratory and Electronic Warfare Laboratory, retiring on June 30, 1973.

He traveled extensively in the United States and abroad both for the government and after retirement with his wife. They enjoyed a wonderful 30-year retirement on Warners Lake in East Berne, before moving back to New Jersey in 2003.

He is survived by his wife, Kathryn; a son, James and his wife, Tina, of Covington, Ga.; a daughter, Mary Ann and her husband, Charles Lingel, of Sammammish, Wash.; a son, Scot and his wife, Leona, of Middletown NJ; three granddaughters and spouses, Brandy and Geoffrey, Suzanne and Dennis, and Kathryn; and three great-grandchildren, Giselle and Hayden Garbaccio, and Kamalami Earley; and his sisters and their families, William and Margaret Hayden of East Berne, and Bernice Bunzey of Berne. His brother, Millard Shultes, died before him.

A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. on Saturday, May 23, 2009, at the Lutheran Parish Church in Berne, followed by interment in Woodlawn Cemetery. Arrangements are by the Fredendall Funeral Home of Altamont.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Lutheran Parish Church Berne N.Y. 12023.

[Return to Home Page]