[Home Page] [This Week] [Classifieds] [Legals] [Obituaries] [Newsstands] [Subscriptions] [Advertising] [Deadlines] [About Us] [FAQ] [Archives] [Community Links] [Contact Us]

Hilltown Archives — The Altamont Enterprise, May 7, 2009

Knox man to plead in case of friend’s homicide

By Zach Simeone

KNOX — Edmund Moore of Knox has agreed to six months in Albany County’s jail for criminally negligent homicide, according to the prosecutor in the case. There will be no trial.

Last fall, Berne-Knox-Westerlo sophomore Ryan Slingerland was killed in a car accident on Street Road. His friend, Ashlee Overbaugh, then 18, was injured as well. On June 16, Moore, who police say was driving the car, will be sentenced.

At about 5 p.m. on Oct. 1, Moore was driving south on Street Road in Knox in a Hyundai sedan with Overbaugh, whom police described as Moore’s girlfriend, in the passenger seat, and Slingerland in the back.

Moore, then 19, was arrested on April 8 for criminally negligent homicide, a felony, and third-degree assault, a misdemeanor. He was arraigned on that same day at the Albany County Court, in front of Judge Thomas Breslin.

“We were able to work it out after indictment with a plea bargain,” said Mary Tanner-Richter, Assistant District Attorney for Albany County, this week. “He agreed to a sentence of six months in Albany County jail, five years on probation, restitution for any uninsured expenses, and revocation of his privilege to operate a motor vehicle in New York State.”

On the “uninsured expenses,” Tanner-Richter said, “The front-seat passenger was injured in the crash as well, so, it relates to out of pocket expenses either to herself or to the vehicle — it was her vehicle,” referring to Ashlee Overbaugh.

While Moore agreed to plead to the charge of criminally negligent homicide, the charge of third-degree assault and his traffic violation will be “wrapped up and included in full-fast action with his plea to criminally negligent homicide,” Tanner-Richter said.

At the time of the accident, Moore did not admit to operating the vehicle, according to a press release from the New York State Police. But, after months of investigation, it was determined that Moore was indeed driving, the release said.

The charges were brought more than six months after the accident, as recommended by the district attorney, not the families of the victims, said Investigator Rob Martin of the New York State Police.

On why Moore was charged more than half-a-year after the accident, Martin said, “It’s not uncommon. A lot goes into the investigation, as far as the reconstruction of the accident, and there were other leads to follow up on, so, it’s pretty consistent with how we do things.”

On whether or not Moore was intoxicated at the time of the accident, Tanner-Richter said there was no indication of alcohol or drug use.

“Clearly, it was imprudent speed for the conditions of the roadway, and well beyond what the speed limit was,” said Tanner-Richter.

On June 16, Moore will be sentenced in front of Judge Breslin.

[Return to Home Page]