[Home Page] [This Week] [Classifieds] [Legals] [Obituaries] [Newsstands] [Subscriptions] [Advertising] [Deadlines] [About Us] [FAQ] [Archives] [Community Links] [Contact Us]

Obituaries Archives — The Altamont Enterprise, August 14, 2008

Scott Herzog

NEW SCOTLAND — Scott Herzog, a Navy veteran who had a passion for driving trucks and motorcycles, died in his New Scotland home on Aug. 7, 2008. He was 61.

He died in the care of his son, family, and hospice, after a six-month battle with malignant melanoma cancer. He had a special bond with his son, Scott, and concern for his son’s future gave him the courage to fight his disease to the bitter end, his family wrote in a tribute.

Born on Jan. 22, 1947, he graduated from Voorheesville’s high school in 1965. He then served three years in the United States Navy aboard the US Surabachi. He was a member of the Voorheesville Rod & Gun Club, and American Legion Post.

Upon his discharge from the Navy, he began to fulfill his lifelong desire to drive trucks, beginning with Main Brothers Oil Co., and going on to drive for National Molasses, International Transport, Ralph Beyer, Airco Industrial Gases, and Rist Transportation. 

His second passion was motorcycles. He began riding in the mid-seventies, “graduating” to a Harley Davidson in the early eighties and continuing to ride until the time of his illness. “During the summer of 2007 he was seldom seen when not riding his prized possession, a new full dress touring model,” said his family.

He was also known for his legendary “annual feeds,” which were very popular during the eighties tapering off through last year with the aging of the participants. “Scott’s home was always open for friends to stop by for relaxation, refreshments and profound conversation,” said his family.

Scott Herzog is survived by his son, Scott; his brother Jake Herzog and his wife, Arlene; his sisters Madelon Herzog and Mary Berkman and her husband, Scott; his nephews Ken Miller and his wife, Patti, and Erick Miller and his wife, Julie, Jake and Ed Herzog, and his nieces Lynn and her husband, Thomas, Bragan, Amy and Gabrielle Berkman, and his former wife, Dona Keezer. His parents, Jacob H. Herzog and Madelon P. Pound, died before him.

The family would like to extend special thanks to all of the friends who helped care for him at home and supported his son, Scott, in caring for him. Special thanks to Kim Sheldon, Stephanie Lawrence, the Welton family, Adam Lamica, John Mycek and Albany Community Hospice nurses Sheila McGee and Joe Villa.

His son, Scott, would like to start a memory book. He would appreciate anyone sending special memories of things they have done with his father.

A Memorial service was held Monday morning at the Reilly and Son Funeral Home in Voorheesville.

Memorial contributions may be made to Community Hospice of Albany County, 445 New Karner Road, Albany, NY 12205.

Terence C. McCarthy

FEURA BUSH — Terence C. McCarthy had a lung transplant 10 years ago that saved his life. He then founded a group, The Presumed Consent Foundation, to push for legislation that would require Americans to opt out of donating their organs after death, rather than the current policy where they opt in.

He died under hospice care in his Feura Bush home on Monday, Aug. 4, 2008. He was 59.

”It would have been 10 years on August 20,” said his cousin Nancy Griffith of the transplant surgery. She described Mr. McCarthy this way: “He had a crusty exterior, but he was good-hearted underneath.”

She also said he was a “strong advocate” for presumed consent.

”He was very passionate,” said David W. Courtney, the vice president of The Presumed Consent Foundation, based in Texas. “Terry was affected with a genetic disorder, Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency, that caused him to have a lung disease that required a transplant,” said Mr. Courtney, who suffers from the same genetic deficiency himself.

“Terry was in really, really bad shape while waiting for a donor,” said Mr. Courtney. “A doctor in Buffalo, where he had the transplant, told him, if the United States used a presumed consent system, he wouldn’t be in such a situation. Terry decided, should he survive, he had to do something about it.” And he did.

At the time of his death, he was the president and chief executive officer of The Presumed Consent Foundation, which now has more than 7,000 members, said Mr. Courtney.

“Terry was a very passionate and caring man in the work he did,” said his friend. “The Presumed Consent Foundation will go on with Terry’s legacy.”

He described Mr. McCarthy as “very outgoing, very friendly, very loving.” He was generous to the end. At Mr. McCarthy’s request, Mr. Courtney said, all of his usable organs and tissue were donated through the New York Center for Donation and Transplant.


Born in Chicago, Mr. McCarthy was raised in Voorheesville, the only child of Francis McCarthy and Lillian Harvey McCarthy Bristol. “His dad passed away when he was very young...He had no siblings,” said Ms. Griffith.

He had worked in the warehouse of a pool company in Florida until he had to retire because of his lung condition, she said. He had enjoyed hunting and trapshooting and was a member of several rod and gun clubs.

Mr. McCarthy is survived by a son, Sean McCarthy; an uncle, Carl Harvey, of Voorheesville; and several cousins, including Nancy Griffith. Services will be held privately at the family’s convenience.

Memorial contributions may be made to The Presumed Consent Foundation, Inc., Post Office Box 58, Plainview, TX  79073.

— Melissa Hale-Spencer

Jennie C. Meineker

GUILDERLAND — Jennie C. Meineker, who carefully nursed her patients and raised her children, died on Sunday, Aug. 10, 2008.  She was 95.

Born to the late Elsie and Jacob May, Mrs. Meineker spent her childhood, until the age of 8, on the family’s Knox farm, said her son, Paul Meineker. 

She went to school in the little wooden schoolhouse that is now on display at the Altamont Fair, he said.

While his mother was growing up in the village, Mr. Meineker said, there was a candy store on Maple Avenue.  “In her teens,” he said, “she got a job working there.”  On her first day of work, the shop owner told her, “Eat all the candy you want,” said Mr. Meineker, repeating the familiar story.  A young Mrs. Meineker took the proprietor’s urging seriously, her son said, but “she never ate another piece after that.”

After Mrs. Meineker graduated from Altamont High School, her son said, “She just wanted to be a nurse.  She just wanted to care for people.”

While she was a nursing student at Memorial Hospital, she met the man who would become her husband, Alfred Meineker, said their son.  She once traveled to San Diego to greet him after his time in the service, Mr. Meineker said.

“She was a good mother,” said her son.  “She was into nature,” he said, frequently telling her sons about the wonders of the natural world.

Mrs. Meineker retired as a registered nurse from St. Peter’s Hospital in 1978.  She was a communicant of St. Lucy’s Church and a former member of the Helderberg American Legion Post 977.  She was also “a faithful member of the Altamont Senior Citizens,” her family wrote in a tribute.


Mrs. Meineker is survived by her two sons: John Meineker and his wife, Lorraine, of Tampa, Fla.; and Paul Meineker and his wife, Linda, of Schenectady.  She is also survived by her former daughter-in-law, Patricia Meineker, and her granddaughters, Kelly and Susan Meineker, and by her great-grandchildren: Kevin Kyle, Cameron and Connor Smith.  She is also survived by her sister, Pearl Kelley of Altamont.

Her husband, Alfred, died before her as did her granddaughter, Mary Jo.

A mass of Christian burial will be celebrated tomorrow, Friday, at 10 a.m. at St. Lucy’s Church on Grand Street in Altamont.  Calling hours will be from 4 to 7:30 p.m. on Thursday at the Fredendall Funeral Home in Altamont.  Interment will be in Fairview Cemetery.  Contributions may be made to the Altamont Senior Citizens, Post Office Box 245, Altamont, NY  12009.

— Saranac Hale Spencer

[Return to Home Page]