[Home Page] [This Week] [Classifieds] [Legals] [Obituaries] [Newsstands] [Subscriptions] [Advertising] [Deadlines] [About Us] [FAQ] [Archives] [Community Links] [Contact Us]

Obituaries Archives — The Altamont Enterprise, November 1, 2007

Raymond H. Cox

GUILDERLAND — Raymond H. Cox, a World War II veteran and retired state worker, died on Oct. 25, 2007, at the Hospice Inn at St. Peter’s Hospital in Albany. He was 83.

Born in Liberty (Sullivan County), Mr. Cox was the son of George and Rose Cox. He served in the United States Army during World War II and he retired from the New York State Office of General Services. He also worked as a driver for Albany Dodge after his retirement.

Mr. Cox was a life member of the American Legion Post and the Boyd Hilton Veterans of Foreign Wars Post in Altamont.

He is survived by his wife, Frances Cox; his daughters Sandra Goulet and Sharon Lukens; a daughter-in-law, Lauren Cox; his stepdaughters, Linda Gardner, and her husband, David, Diane Gilligan, and her husband, Timothy, Jo-Anne Stulmaker, and her husband Mark; a sister, Alice Hallenbeck, and her husband, Amos; and a brother, Robert Cox; as well as several grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and nieces and nephews.

His son, John Cox, Sr., died before him as did his sister, Margaret DeRose, and two brothers, Ralph and Richard Cox.

A funeral service was held on Monday, Oct. 29, at the Fredendall Funeral Home in Altamont, and a burial service was held in Memory’s Garden in Colonie.

Memorial contributions may be made to Community Hospice of Albany, 445 New Karner Rd., Albany, NY 12205.

Harold A. Durfee Jr.

Harold "Skeet" A. Durfee Jr. was the best father and the best husband, said his daughter Colleen Zaremski.

Mr. Durfee died on Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2007 in Florida after a long illness.

He was 78.

"He enjoyed life. That’s for sure," said Mrs. Zaremski.

Born on March 19, 1929 in Schenectady, Mr. Durfee was the son of the late Harold and Sophie Durfee.

He graduated from Berne-Knox High School. He worked for General Electric for 38 years and enjoyed 23 years of his retirement in Saranac Lake and Ruskin, Fla.

The family owned Durf’s Tavern in Berne near Thompson’s Lake until 1959. Mr. Durfee’s parents were the original owners. The building burned this past year.

Mrs. Zaremski has fond memories of her childhood and her father.

She described her father as a reserved man, who was a good provider for his family. Both he and her mother instilled in their children a good work ethic, morals, and values, she said.

Mr. Durfee was an avid hunter and fisherman. He also enjoyed sports, riding motorcycles, and playing shuffleboard. He kept a meticulous yard. A member of a shuffleboard club, he won many trophies, and enjoyed "knocking everybody into the kitchen," said his daughter.

He had a motorcycle for years, and he and his wife enjoyed going on rides. Mr. Durfee, his daughter said, was one of the original members of a group of Harley Davidson riders, based from Spitzie’s Motorcycle Center in Albany.

In the summers, the Durfees went to their summer camp for two weeks in July when General Electric shut down.

One of his favorite pastimes was taking his family water-skiing and tubing on the lake.

"He would give us the ride of our life," Mrs. Zaremski said.

She recalled one afternoon when her father made many attempts to help one of the family’s friends get up on water skis.

"He was all about showing us a good time," she said.

During the first five years of his retirement, Mr. Durfee and his wife of 57 years, Cecile, lived on an island. He enjoyed swimming. While on the island, the couple was snowed in from time to time, and, when Mr. Durfee was in his early 70s, he built a beautiful boathouse at the family’s camp on the mainland.

Mr. Durfee hunted raccoons, and his wife was famous for her raccoon dinners, Mrs. Zaremski said.

She remembered her father’s final hours.

Though he was weak, her father was still reaching out to kiss his wife, giving the thumbs up, and "showing his love for his family all the way," said Mrs. Zaremski.

An avid sports fan, Mr. Durfee, from his hospice bed, watched a NASCAR race on television and said his brothers’ names.

"We were all there," Mrs. Zaremski said, and her father had "a nice peaceful goodbye."

In his last moments, she said, the family was saying "what a good father he was and what a stable house we had."

Following his death, she said, while the family was home, it began to rain.

"We were saying, ‘Daddy’s watering his lawn,’" said his daughter, adding that, since then, it’s rained nearly every day.

Also since her father’s death, she said, the family has been showered with gifts.

The family planted a beautiful four-pronged palm tree in Mr. Durfee’s name and will soon be placing a plaque near the tree.


Mr. Durfee is survived by his beloved wife of 57 years, Cecile A. Page Durfee; his daughters, Dona Rapp; Colleen Zaremski, and her husband, John Jr., and his son, Harold Durfee III, and his wife, Jan. He is also survived by his grandchildren, Richard Kwak Jr.; Kevin Kwak; Justin Zaremski and Eric Zaremski; Melissa Durfee and Harold Durfee IV; and brothers, William and Robert Durfee.

A memorial service for the family will be held at a later date. Memorial contributions may be made to LifePath Hospice and Palliative Care, 3725 Upper Creek Drive, Ruskin, FL 33573-6840.

Richard P. Kenneally Jr.

ALTAMONT — Richard P. Kenneally Jr. died on Monday, Oct. 22, 2007. He was 52 years old.

Mr. Kenneally is survived by his wife, Elizabeth J. Kenneally, and his children, Lisa Kenneally Wilson of Fonda, N.Y. and Eric Kenneally of Hunter, N.Y. He is also survived by a brother, several aunts, uncles, stepchildren, and grandchildren.

A funeral service was held on Oct. 27 at the Fredendall Funeral Home in Altamont.

Duane C. Walker

DELHI – Duane Carlton Walker, of the Countryside Care Center in Delhi, died unexpectedly on Oct. 27, 2007. He was 78.

"Duane was a very intelligent and gentle man, loving and devoted to his family and very much loved by all," his family wrote in a tribute.

He was born on Dec. 11, 1928 in Sidney, N.Y., the son of Gerald C. and Beatrice (Leal) Walker. He graduated with honors from Sidney Central High School in 1947, where he was an outstanding football player and captain of his football team. After graduation, he joined the United States Navy.

Mr. Walker was employed by the Bendix Corporation in Sidney, N.Y., where he was a model maker in the experimental department.

On March 2, 1951, he married Barbara Curtis at the Methodist Church in Sidney.

He is survived by his wife of 56 years; three daughters, Debra Pratt and her husband, Bill, of Rotterdam, Susan Deprez of Annandale, Va., and Lucinda Uhorchak and her husband, John, of Cornwall, N.Y., and one son, Michael Walker of Unadilla, N.Y.

He is also survived by 10 grandchildren, Cassandra and Jonathan Pratt of Rotterdam; Amanda and David Deprez of Annandale, Va.; Nicholas, Jacqueline, and Andrew Uhorchak of Cornwall, N.Y.; and Jessica Walker, Michelle Schwartz, and Steven Walker of Sidney, N.Y.

He is also survived by his brothers, Gerald and William Walker, of Sidney, and his sisters, Wanda Waldron of Harlington, Texas, Virginia Derrick of Sidney, and Colleen Scott of Masonville, and many cousins, nieces and nephews.

Friends are invited to call at the C.H. Landers Funeral Chapel, 21 Main St., Sidney, Saturday, Nov. 3 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Funeral services will follow at 1 p.m. Burial will be in the Prospect Hill Cemetery in Sidney, N.Y.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Sidney Emergency Squad or Sidney Fire Department, River Street, Sidney.

Arrangements are by C.H. Landers Funeral Chapel, 21 Main St., Sidney, N.Y. 123838.

[Return to Home Page]