[Home Page] [This Week] [Classifieds] [Legals] [Obituaries] [Newsstands] [Subscriptions] [Advertising] [Deadlines] [About Us] [FAQ] [Archives] [Commumity Links] [Contact Us]

Obituraries Archives — The Altamont Enterprise, January 25, 2007

Annlisbeth Disco Cole

Annlisbeth Disco Cole, a woman who retired from working at a local school and was devoted to her family, dogs, community, and church, died Jan. 18, 2007 at her home. She was 71.

Born in Saranac Lake, N.Y., she was the daughter of the late John and Gladys Rowe Disco.

Mrs. Cole retired from the Berne-Knox-Westerlo School District as an attendance officer.

"She was very giving and made friends easily," said her daughter, LeAnne Maille.

Mrs. Cole was friendly and was devoted to her friends and family, her daughter said. "Everyone who met her thought she was a special lady," she said.

A long-time resident of Knox, Mrs. Cole moved to Fairview, N.C. in 1997, and visited New York "not as often as she would have liked," said Mrs. Maille.

Mrs. Maille recalled her mother and father traveling to the family’s camp in the Adirondacks.

Her hobby, Mrs. Maille said, was raising and breeding Doberman pinschers.

Mrs. Cole raised, bred, and trained Dobermans most of her life and was a member of the Asheville Kennel Club and the Doberman Pinscher Club of America.

Most of Mrs. Cole’s time after retiring was devoted to the Food For Fairview shelter, and Doberman Rescue. She was also an active member of the Fairview Sharon Methodist Church.

Mrs. Cole is survived by her daughters, Lauralynn Cutting, and her husband, Richard, of Elizabethtown (Essex County); and LeAnne Maille and her husband, Addison, of Greensboro, N.C.; her son, William Van Natten Jr., and his wife, Elena, of Brooksville, Fla.; her step-daughter, Deborah Parrish, of Austin, Texas; James Cole Jr. of Albany; and grandchildren, Krysta Cutting and Kathrine and Richard Maille.

Mrs. Cole’s husband, James LeRoy Cole Sr., died before her, as did her son, John Cole, and her brother, John Disco..

A memorial service was held yesterday (Wednesday) at the Fairview-Sharon United Methodist Church in Fairview, N.C., with Rev. Glenda Bramlet officiating.

Groce Funeral Home at Lake Julian made the arrangements. A memorial register is available at www.grocefuneralhome.com.

Memorial contributions may be made to Food For Fairview, Charlotte Highway, Fairview, NC 28730; to Doberman Rescue of the Triad, 108 Beverly Place, Greensboro, NC 27415; or to the Muscular Dystrophy Association, 100 Executive Center Drive, Greenville, SC 29615.

— Tyler Schuling

Katherine J. Day

Katherine J. Day, a nature enthusiast who worked as a varitype operator, died on Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2007, at St. Joseph’s House of Grace in Glens Falls. She was 76.

"Her family and friends dearly loved her," her family wrote in a tribute.

Born Jan. 21, 1930, in Albany, she was the daughter of the late Stephen A. Morrissey and Anna M. (Holtslag) Morrissey Reynolds.

She graduated high school from Vincentian Institute in Albany and worked for the state’s Department of Environmental Conservation for 30 years as a varitype operator.

She and her husband, Don, were communicants of St. Lucy’s Church in Altamont.

Mrs. Day was a nature enthusiast. She loved bird-watching and also was an injured dog and animal rescuer. She and her husband spent many years on their farm, walking and snowshoeing with their dogs, Molly, and later Buddy and Lady.

Survivors include her husband of 52 years, G. Donald Day of Queensbury; a sister, Marcia A. Graves and her husband, Richard, of Wallingford, Vt.; three brothers, Stephen A. Morrissey of Glens Falls, Robert J. Morrissey and his wife, Dolly, of Queensbury, and David B. Morrissey and his wife, Mary, of Loudonville; as well as several nieces, nephews, and cousins, especially Mary Duray of Enfield, Conn.

A funeral mass was celebrated Monday morning, at St. Mary’s Church in Glens Falls.

Burial followed at Our Lady Help of Christians Cemetery in Glenmont.

Arrangements are by the Regan and Denny Funeral Home, of Queensbury.

Memorial contributions may be made to High Peaks Hospice, 286 Glen St., Suite 3, Glens Falls, NY 12801 or to St. Joseph’s House of Grace, 33 Henry St., Glens Falls, NY 12801.

George W. Heilman

George W. Heilman, an avid outdoorsman and master carpenter, died on Sunday, Jan. 21, 2007. He was 81.

Mr. Heilman was born in Albany on Dec. 13, 1925 to the late Albert Frederick and Emma Anna Heilman.

Mr. Heilman was a veteran of World War II, serving in the United States Army in the 355th Infantry. He was awarded the Purple Heart, the Bronze Star, and the Conspicuous Service State of New York award. Mr. Heilman was wounded in action, said his son, Frederick Heilman.

Mr. Heilman married his wife, Ruth "Billie" Heilman, on April 25, 1953.

"I love you, George, with all my heart and soul," Mrs. Heilman said in a tribute to her husband.

He built the house in Delmar where they spent their married years and raised their three children. He worked for over 40 years as a carpenter with Local 370.

Mr. Heilman "was kind of a quiet person," his son, Frederick, said. "He loved the outdoors," and enjoyed the quiet and solitude that it provided, he said.

He was a member of Ducks Unlimited, the New York State Grouse Association, and a life member of the National Rifle Association.

He was also a member of the Senior Citizens Golf League, and an honorary member of the Onesquethaw Fish and Game Club.

He was also a member of the National Museum of American Indians.

"He was a Civil War buff," his son said. He really enjoyed reading about the Civil War and about American Indians, he said.

He kept his mind occupied with a lot of reading, his son recalled.

In addition to his love of the outdoors – the Adirondacks, hunting, fishing, canoeing, and camping – Mr. Heilman "enjoyed a party now and then," his son Frederick said.

He liked to drink beer on occasion; he preferred German beer, but "in a pinch" would drink any kind, Frederick said.

"He really loved Christmas," his son said. It was his favorite time of year, he said.

"I’ll miss going hunting with him," Frederick Heilman said. His father taught him how to hunt, fish, and trap, he said.

"He was a great father," his son said.

Mr. Heilman is survived by his wife, Ruth "Billie" Heilman, of Delmar; his son, Frederick "Randy" Heilman, and his wife, Elaine, of Feura Bush; his daughter, Teal E. Schaming, and her husband, Peter H. Schaming IV, of East Berne; and his daughter, Dawn C. Heilman, of Delmar.

He is also survived by his grandchildren: Taza and Jada Schaming, Crystal Lynn Keyes, and Tiffany Lynn Heilman. He is also survived by his great-grandchildren, Tristan and Austin Keyes; and his brother-in-law, Alfred "Jake" Leonard.

His brother, Albert Heilman, and his sister, Ruth Leonard, died before him.

A funeral service, with full military honors, was held on Monday at the Gerald B.H. Solomon Saratoga National Cemetery in Schuylerville.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Alzheimer’s Association, 85 Watervliet Ave., Albany, N.Y. 12206.

–— Rachel Dutil

Millard C. Shultes

BERNE — Millard C. Shultes, a local farmer who retired to Alabama, died Jan. 17, 2007 at his home in Alabama.

He was 84.

Born in Berne on April 30, 1922, Mr. Shultes was the son of the late Verni and Mertie Shultes. Mr. Shultes lived most of his life on Stone Post Farm where he was born.

Mr. Shultes married his wife, Mary K. Sonn, on Oct. 5, 1946. The couple worked the family farm while raising their three sons and retired to Langston, Ala. in 1992.

Mr. Shultes’s sister, Bernice Bunzey, who spends her winters in Florida, said her brother was a good carpenter. He built a round house in Alabama, his winter home, located in Tornado Alley, she said, and also built a round garage.

"People asked him if he knew how to build a square home," Mrs. Bunzey said with a laugh. "He was an excellent cabinetmaker."

Mr. Shultes, she said, was also an excellent farmer. "He was one year and nine months older than me," she said, adding that they looked alike. "Some people thought we were twins."

"We had a good childhood on the farm," she said.

In his later years, Mr. Shultes was well known for his maple syrup production.

Mr. Shultes, she said, was also an outdoorsman. "He loved to fish, and he hunted when he was younger," she said, "but being a farmer, there wasn’t much leisure time." He also enjoyed logging in the summertime with his son, Michael, she said.

He was involved with his community, serving as a fireman and a fire commissioner for the Berne Volunteer Fire Company, and was a member of the Old Men of the Mountain, a local group of retired men who live in the Hilltowns and meet weekly for breakfast at local restaurants.

Mr. Shultes lived for the Old Men of the Mountain breakfasts, said Bernice Bunzey, and he always brought his own maple syrup to the restaurants.

John Williams, the scribe for the Old Men of the Mountain, wrote in his column this week, "Millard Shultes passed away at his home in Alabama where he spent his winters. Millard was about 85 years old and led a full life. His death was not one of a lingering sickness. He passed away like many of us hope to do"

It is reported by his relatives that Millard enjoyed the OMOTM so much that he left Alabama early, and left the Hilltowns late just so he could spend more time with the OFs. This is quite a testimony to the cohesiveness of our little band of outlaws. Millard ran a sugarbush"would generally order pancakes for which he brought his own maple syrup.

When Millard came and brought his little brown jug of syrup, many OFs would order pancakes or French toast just to use the real maple syrup"Millard will be greatly missed along with his little brown jug."

"He was quite a character," Mrs. Bunzey said. "He had to have farm-made maple syrup."

Mrs. Bunzey remained in good spirits while describing her brother’s death and how he was discovered.

When he died, he was found with syrup cans all over the place, she said with a laugh.

Mr. Shultes, she said, was very intelligent, opinionated, and determined.

"He was the valedictorian of his class," Bernice Bunzey said, adding that her brother and she attended a one-room schoolhouse until sixth-grade, before moving on to the Berne-Knox Central School.

"He was very set in his ways," Bernice Bunzey said. Her brother, she said, "was very opinionated but very intelligent, because he was always right."


Mr. Shultes is survived by his sons, Eric Shultes; Marc Shultes, and his wife, Cathy; and Mike Shultes, and his wife, Judy.

Mr. Shultes’s wife, Mary, died before him in 1997.

Mr. Shultes is also survived by his granddaughters, Emily and Jordan Shultes; his siblings, Keith Shultes, and his wife, Kathy; Bernice Bunzey; and Peg Hayden, and her husband, Bill. His brother-in-law, Ken Bunzey, died before him.

He is also survived by many nieces and nephews and many friends in Berne and Langston.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Berne Volunteer Fire Company. A celebration of Mr. Shultes’s life is planned for later in the spring.

— Tyler Schuling

[Return to Home Page]