[Home Page] [This Week] [Classifieds] [Legals] [Obituaries] [Newsstands] [Subscriptions] [Advertising] [Deadlines] [About Us] [FAQ] [Archives] [Commumity Links] [Contact Us]

Obituraries Archives — The Altamont Enterprise, September 14, 2006

Dominick A. Lentlie

VOORHEESVILLE – Dominick "Dom" Lentlie, a life-long Voorheesville resident and a proud member of the Democratic party, died on Friday, Sept. 8, 2006, at St. Peter’s Hospital in Albany. He was 90.

Mr. Lentlie was born on Aug. 9, 1916 in Voorheesville, to Pasquale and Caterina Filipone Lentlie. Caterina Lentlie died in 1919, and he was raised by his second mother, Raquela Macri Lentlie.

Mr. Lentlie graduated from Albany High School in 1933. His wife, Genevieve, said he rode the train in to Albany from Voorheesville every day.

He then served in the United States Army Air Corps during World War II. He spent most of his time during the war in Panama City, Fla. After the war, he was part of an occupation force that helped to relocate displaced people in France, Germany, and Belgium. He entered the service as a private and after five promotions, he finished his duty as a technical sergeant, said his daughter, Jaynemarie Lentile.

When he returned to Voorheesville, he worked for Duffy Mott, a cider bottling company, until it closed in 1956.

He then worked as the office manager at Keeler’s Restaurant in Albany, and then as an agent for the Nationwide Insurance Company. It was at the insurance company where he met his wife. She was a claims secretary. After they were married in 1962, the two ran the company together.

"We partnered up," Mrs. Lentlie said.

Mrs. Lentlie said her husband was born in Voorheesville, moved into his house in 1924, when he was 8 years old, and lived there the rest of his life. He loved Voorheesville, and was proud to see growth in his community, she said.

He was a proud Democrat, and served 20 years as a town of New Scotland Democratic committeeman from the late 1940s to the late 1960s. He was always a staunch Democrat, and wanted to get a few party members into office, his wife said.

Mr. Lentlie was a charter member of American Legion Post 1493, and, along with Bill Schultz, started the American Legion baseball team. He also coached the team for several years and coached and played for the Voorheesville Wildcats men’s softball team.

Mrs. Lentlie said that her husband was an avid New York Yankees fan. "He was beside himself when the Yankees beat the Red Sox five games in a row," she said.
Mr. Lentlie was known by his eye doctors as "Miracle Man," his wife s
aid. He was legally blind for five years, and had to give up his license. But, after multiple surgeries, his sight was restored and he got his license back.

He loved numbers, his wife said. He would often race people adding numbers – Mr. Lentlie with his paper and pencil, his competitor on an adding machine. He would usually win, she said. "He could always put numbers together," she added.

Survivors include his wife, Genevieve, of Voorheesville; a daughter, Jaynemarie Lentlie; a son, Patrick Lentlie, and his wife, Cristin, of Halfmoon; and a granddaughter, Haley Rose Lentlie.

He is also survived by his brother, Bruno Lentlie, and his wife, Marion, of Colonie, three nephews, John Lentlie, Richard Lentlie, and Robert Lentlie; and two nieces, Connie Cote of Easton, Penn., and Elvera Timmons, also of Easton, Penn.
His brother, Frank Lentlie, and a sister, Rose Zappivigna, died before him.

Funeral services were held at St. Matthew’s Church in Voorheesville on Tuesday, Sept. 12. Internment was in St. Agnes Cemetery in Menands. Arrangements were by the Reilly & Son Funeral Home of Voorheesville.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Voorheesville Area Ambulance Service, Post Office Box 238, Voorheesville, NY 12186.

— Rachel Dutil

William Duncan Mohr

GUILDERLAND — William Duncan Mohr — a World War II veteran; Scoutmaster; lover of local history, the Pine Bush, and all things Scottish; a Civil War buff and amateur military historian — died on Sept. 6, 2006. He was 84 years old; a widower since 1994.

He spent many months under Hospice care for advanced Parkinson’s disease in the Westmere home of his son and daughter-in-law.

Friends, neighbors, and family gathered in a memorial service at home as a Capital Region Celtic band piper played "Lord Lovat’s Lament," a tune particularly meaningful to Mr. Mohr, in a slow tempo walk down the street to the Pine Bush.

As part of the Guilderland Bicentennial Celebration, Mr. Mohr was honored for his long-term residency — since 1949 — in McKownville. He was a founding member of the McKownville Home Improvement Association and a longtime member of the McKownville Fire Department.

He helped create interest in the nearby Pine Bush with his slide shows in the 1960’s and 1970’s.
His research and articles on colonial history culminated in the unearthing of the Revoluntionary era "Seven-Mile House" near Rapp Road. His work was supported and commended by the late Albany Mayor Erastus Corning and documented in state agency archives.

While growing up during the Depression on Third Street in Albany, Mr. Mohr dreamed of following the men in his family’s long tradition of serving in the military since the Revolutionary War. He was greatly influenced by stories told by the last remaining Civil War veterans in his old Arbor Hill neighborhood. At the age of 19, he joined the Army and volunteered for overseas duty. He was assigned to a military government unit in London, England.

During the Blitz, Mr. Mohr met his future wife, Elsie Winifred Spurr, who served in the British Army in the London War Office. After their brief engagement, Mr. Mohr was ordered to join war efforts in France. He went from the Battle of Normandy to St. Lo, the Ardennes, the Battle of the Bulge and, finally, the Rhineland.

He returned to England and married Elsie in her English village of East Retford, Nottinghamshire. Their ashes will be buried together in the same village church in England where they were married in 1945.

After the war, Mr. Mohr began his lifelong career working for the New York Telephone Company. After 35 years of holding various positions including lineman, installer, and switchman, he retired as a central office manager for NYNEX. In addition to being a lifetime member of Telephone Pioneers and a founding member of the Capital Communications Credit Union, he joined the Company of Military Historians, the Civil War Roundtable, and the Covered Bridge Historical Society.

He is survived by his brother, the Reverend Father Simon Mohr of Albany; his son, William Andrew Mohr and wife, Liesse Chable, of Guilderland; and grandson, Nicholas Mohr, Esq., wife Erin Lavelle, and five-month-old daughter, Georgia Sophia, of Lakeland, Fla.

Memorial contributions may be to these not-for-profit organizaitons: Save the Pine Bush, Inc., 2348 Cayuga Road, Niskayuna, NY 12309 or the Albany Pine Bush Preserve Commission, care of the Nature Conservancy, 195 New Karner Road, Albany, NY12205.

[Return to Home Page]